Monday, November 16, 2009

Bye Bye 80's!

What do infants think about? Well, breasts for sure! All kidding aside, "Look Who's Talking" is a film based the perspective of life from a very young child. From the moment of conception, throughout the babies first several years, Look Who's Talking takes the viewer on a wild ride of an infants life. When I first saw this film, I was about ten years old. I often remember watching it because I found the movie to be quite funny. My favorite of the Look Who's Talking films was the second film, titled Look Who's Talking Now. I preferred the second film because the ages of the children were closer to my age. The film stars a young John Travolta and also stars Kirstie Alley.

Just think, this was all of us at one time....






Honey...I Shrunk the Kids!! Five words a mother NEVER wants to hear. As if the 1980's didn't have enough cool films, Honey I Shrunk the Kids was released on June 23rd, 1989 and starred Rick Moranis (the dorky guy in the Ghostbuster films). For those who have not seen the film, the title basically describes the plot in full. An inventor, invents a machine that is able to shrink objects. Unfortunately, one day his kids and their neighbors are playing baseball and a home run ball is hit into the machine, triggering it to activate. The film mostly centers on the chaotic adventures of attempting to get big again, and trying not to get stepped on by their own parents. Personally, I loved this film. Despite the cheesy humor, this film was actually interesting because we the audience get to experience life as an insect. I always wondered what life would be like living in the grass in my backyard. Honey I Shrunk the Kids gives the viewer a glimpse into the world we'll never see.




In my first blog, I talked about one of my favorite childhood films, Ghostbusters. Five years later, Ghostbusters two hit the theaters. Ghostbusters two, like the first film, focuses on the Ghostbusters keeping evil spirits from taking over the world. In the second film, ghosts have threatened the big apple. One of my favorite scenes from this film was the ending scene with the Statue of Liberty walking down the streets of NYC. Although I did not see this film until a few years after its release in theaters, it still remains at the top of my list of favorite films. Critics may not have loved it but I sure did!

From beginning to end, this film is pure greatness! Did you like the second Ghostbuster film? Yes? No? Tell me why!





These days, horror movies are more like comedies than horror films. Saw is mostly about gore and grossing people out and other films mainly focus on slasher type theme's. Before Paranormal Activity came out this past fall, there had not been a film that scared me as much as Pet Sematary. Released in 1989, Pet Semetary centers around a family who moves into a rural house out on a farm. Life is seems good, expect for the fact that there is a road in front of the house which is used by speeding truckers. One day, the family's cat gets hit. A neighbor suggests that the father bury the cat at an old Indian burial ground. He complies and all hell breaks loose. If you have not seen the film, I suggest you check it out! To this day, Pet Semetary still creeps me out and probably will the rest of my life!

Have you seen this film? What did you think? Please drop a quick comment to let me know! Thanks!





Where did my love of trains begin? Probably when I first rode Strausburg Railroad in the mid 1980's. Since then, several shows have been released the focus on railroading. One of my favorite train shows growing up was Shining Time Station aka the Thomas the Tank Engine show. Airing on PBS, the show focused around the life of Thomas the Tank Engine. I remember watching the show just for the scenes with Thomas. I really had no interest in the other scenes of the show. I also was a big fan of Mr. Conductor aka George Carlin.

Watching Shining Time Station was only the beginning of what would turn into a very productive hobby. Over the last several years, the Internet has opened up the doors to a participatory cultural where people like myself (amateurs) can produce what at one time was only done by professionals. Today, I can take my High Definition camcorder and film trains. But what's the difference between today and twenty years ago? Sharing. Not only can I take video of trains, but I can also take video of trains AND SHARE them with others. What was once only reserved for train magazines and production companies can now be done by anyone with a camera and an Internet connection. YouTube has allowed me to share my videos with the world. Something that at the time of Shining Time's Station's release, would have been impossible!



On that note, that's a wrap to this blog and the 1980's. I'll touch on a few more things 80's in my next few blogs, but look for an increase in 90's material. Also keep checking back as there will be a special Christmas blog in early December, focusing on Christmas films, songs and television shows. Have a good one everyone, don't forget to leave a quick comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!